No-Shave November: Shaving and Beard Care
Oils to help your beard thrive during No-Shave November
Men, are you letting your beard grow out? If so, are you taking good care of your beard? Your facial hair deserves just as much attention as your head hair. Don’t make it feel less important.
To give your face some love this month, try these natural DIY shaving and beard oils.
To start, beards look and feel better when they’re taken care of. Sure, you can opt for the caveman look, but for those of you who need to be well-groomed for work (or your partner), you may want to give beard oils a try. A good beard oil both softens the hair and moisturizes the skin beneath the beard. And yes, you should take care of the skin buried below your beard.
Another benefit of using beard oils is that you can use your favorite scents and enjoy them all day. Think No-Shave November meets all-day aromatherapy. While body temperatures can heat up essential oils, eventually cooking them off your skin, essential oil aromas last much longer on hair.
For more musky essential oil scents, try sandalwood, agarwood, cedarwood, frankincense, or sage. Use pine and spruce essential oils if you’re feeling the outdoorsy, lumberjack vibe, or spice things up for the holidays with citrus scents and spices like cinnamon or coriander.
DIY Beard Oil Recipe to Get Started
- 1 oz jojoba oil
- 5 -7 drops frankincense essential oil
- 5-7 drops sandalwood essential oil
Making the Beard Oil
- Pour the jojoba oil into a 1 oz bottle then add the essential oils.
- Place the cap on and shake to evenly distribute the oils.
- Pour a small amount (about ½ tsp ) into the palm of your hand and apply to your beard, rubbing all the way up into the hair follicles.
- If you have one, use a beard comb to evenly distribute the oils.
When it comes time to shape or fully shave your beard, using a pre-shave oil can help to protect the skin from razor burn while softening the beard hairs. The moisturized skin and beard results in a smoother shave.
Refreshing DIY Pre-shave Oil
- 1 oz jojoba oil
- 10 drops lemongrass essential oil
- 1 drop ginger essential oil
Making the Pre-shave Oil
- Pour the jojoba oil into a 1oz bottle then add the essential oils.
- Place the cap on and shake to distribute the oils.
- Pour a small amount ( ¼ -1/2 tsp) into your hand and apply to your face before applying your favorite natural shaving cream.
Where Can You Get These Ingredients?
I like to support my local co-ops when I can, and jojoba oil is usually easy to find. If you prefer to order online, you can order the oils from websites like Mountain Rose Herbs or Floracopeia. These are two of the higher quality oil companies out there. Try to find companies that use organic or wildcrafted and sustainably farmed resources.
What's Your Skin Type
Each article on Dermveda is unique, just like you. Find your skin type and save your results to get articles that are compatible with you.